Re: mtools: mmove usage

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, M.C. Bezemer wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>

> > The error message is a bug, but DOS-wise "a:" is a non-sensical
> > source; DOS wouldn't accept it for either copy or move.
> > "a:*.*" is the answer but you'd have to quote it. That may or may
> > not be the problem though.

Anyway, it works for mcopy! Using *.* (and quoting it with '"') didn't
help. I haven't tried quoting it with '\', though.

> bug in the routine that finds out with which name mtools is started. Maybe
> this is solved in more recent versions of mtools. This system - not mine -
> seems not to have been updated for quite a while.

I'm using the current mtools package from hamm (3.8-1).

> /home/softweng/i2437307>mmove a:/* /tmp/
> Path component "tmp" is not a directory
> Bad target

It's the same error I get. Obviously, it doesn't depend on the file system
which is mounted on that directory. BTW, the "path component" mentioned in
the error message is always the first path component (ie, /dos/e -> dos).

> /home/softweng/i2437307>mmove a:/* /tmp
> Long file name "tmp" already exists.
> a)utorename A)utorename-all r)ename R)ename-all o)verwrite O)verwrite-all
> s)kip S)kip-all q)uit (aArRoOsSq): q
>
> Of the two files on the floppy, the first one has been renamed to tmp, and
> therefore the other one cannot be renamed to tmp as well.

I don't think so. This is because you have a /tmp by default.
But if I remember correctly, this overwrite warning is always shown, if you
omit the trailing slash, even if no file or directory of this name exists.
(I can't test it at the moment)

> Another option might be making an entry in /etc/fstab for /dev/fd0 with
> the noauto and user options. Having mounted the floppy, you should be able
> to move files in the std linux way.

Well, this works. But it's too uncomfortable if you want to copy several
floppies one after the other, because you always need to umount one disk
and mount the next.

> Greetings,
>  Maarten Bezemer.

I guess, this is worth a bug report...