Re: mtools: mmove usage

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> The error message is a bug, but DOS-wise "a:" is a non-sensical
> source; DOS wouldn't accept it for either copy or move.
> "a:*.*" is the answer but you'd have to quote it. That may or may
> not be the problem though.

I've tried some things on the Debian 1.1 system at the university, but it
seems, that mmove and mren have the same result: renaming files on the
disk, not moving it from floppy to a linux directory. I guess it may be a
bug in the routine that finds out with which name mtools is started. Maybe
this is solved in more recent versions of mtools. This system - not mine -
seems not to have been updated for quite a while.

/home/softweng/i2437307>mmove a:/* /tmp/
Path component "tmp" is not a directory
Bad target
/home/softweng/i2437307>mmove a:/* /tmp
Long file name "tmp" already exists.
a)utorename A)utorename-all r)ename R)ename-all o)verwrite O)verwrite-all
s)kip S)kip-all q)uit (aArRoOsSq): q

Of the two files on the floppy, the first one has been renamed to tmp, and
therefore the other one cannot be renamed to tmp as well.
Another option might be making an entry in /etc/fstab for /dev/fd0 with
the noauto and user options. Having mounted the floppy, you should be able
to move files in the std linux way.

Greetings,
 Maarten Bezemer.