Re: two keyboards, two monitors, two users, one processor?

In article <[🔎] 873ehau1ok.fsf@psyche.evansnet> you write:
>Jameson Burt <jameson@mnsinc.com> writes:
>
>> I seek to use one computer with two full X-windows users.
>> This would be a cheap in time/money approach for my wife and I simultaneously
>> using Linux.
>
>It might be worthwhile finding a cheap 386 or 486 with a good graphics
>card.  Install a minimum of programs on it, just the X server.  If you
>run xfs on your main computer, you won't even need the fonts.  You
>could do this with even a 200 MB hard disk, I think.
>
>You *will* need 2 network cards for this, but setting up two computers
>on a network under Linux is easier than some single-computer stuff.  X
>is probably too slow over serial.

Two HUNDRED meg?  I know from experience that all the necessary stuff
can be fit on a single 1.44 MB floppy.  This included a stripped-down
kernel, libc, ash, S3 X server, and the necessary tools to establish a
SLIP connection over a null modem cable.  Unless you have less than 8Mb
of RAM, you probably won't need a swap file/partition.  I didn't use init,
but wrote a small shell script to do its job instead.  If you don't mind a
small amount of lag, it even works acceptably fast over a 115.2kbps wire!

However, if I was doing this for any other purpose than proof of concept,
it would hardly be worth not paying 20 pounds each for a couple of cheap
network cards.

>It is easy to plug in two mice, dodgy to plug in two monitors, but
>pretty much impossible to plug in two keyboards at the moment, IMO.

Apparently GGI can handle two keyboards if you have both a PS/2 keyboard
and a [whatever-the-other-sort's-called] keyboard plugged in at once.

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>