Re: Bad blocks

Normally you would boot from a rescue floppy for such maintenance
activities and mount your filesystem read only.  I haven't had to do
this in a long time but it also seems to me that you can boot to single
user and remount root as read only.

FizzyPop wrote:

>         I keep getting {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }'s and I figure
> it's all bad blocks.  I ran "fsck /dev/hda2" but it only seems to do a
> cursory examination (not taking nearly as long as the scan when I installed
> Linux) and I keep getting the same errors after presumably correcting them.
>  So I was wondering what the utility was to thouroughly check all of the HD
> for errors.
>         Also, I've been told not to run disk checks while the HD is mounted, how
> can I load linux sans mounting the HD?  does it work if I boot from a
> floppy?
>
> --

best,
-bill
      bleach@BellSouth.net  b.leach@Worldnet.att.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!