Re: Win95 Dialin Client Config

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Kevin Traas wrote:

> None of these dialin users (Win95 or WinNT WS) can "browse" the network
> using "Network Neighborhood".  They get a "Can't Browse Network" message.
> However, everything else works fine.  I've got a WINS server running and the
> Linux is a DNS server, so name resolution isn't a problem.  However, they
> can't use the Network Neighborhood to browse to a server, connect a share,
> etc.

If you take a look at /etc/ppp/options you can specify a 'wins-addr'
option which should give your win95 dialup clients the right WINS
addresses.  Last time I checked NT had some problems with getting the
assignment, but that might have changed since I last used it (about 1 year
ago).  You can also specify the dns addresses in a similar manner -- take
a look at the file.  The advice given in a follow-up to your email about
having the clients log on to the NT domain is also correct (as is the rest
of it -- this might just help make things smoother).

Thomas.

----
M$ slips up in true Freudian style...
Seminar attendee: "Why is [Outlook] so slow?"
M$ rep:           "That's because it's live on the network."
Seminar attendee: "As opposed to...?"
Stop the madness!  Free yourselves!  http://www.opensource.org/