trouble with the boot-block..

My Debian-1.3 came about a week ago.  It didn't take that long
to figure out the installation procedure; it is similiar to
FreeBSD that I've used for around 3 years.

However, after installing Debian on my first and third SCSI
drives and *not* using LILO as the boot manager, I found that
I __always__ boot into Debian, into a RAM file system.

I have FreeBSD on my 2nd SCSI drive but cannot get to it.

After re-installing both OS's from scratch several times I've
come to the conclusion that something is causing the master boot
track to always throw me into the re-install RAM-fs of Linux.

I'd be much obliged for some work-arounds here.  Am I using
the wrong rescue disk or what?

(*mumble*)

thanks,

gary kline