dpkg-buildpackage

Hi!

I've got a problem with building Packages with dpkg-builpackage. I
thought it should be possible to rebuild Packages from their sources who
were extracted from *.orig.tar.gz with dpkg-source -x. But instead
dpkg returned

vampira:[xldlas-0.85] # dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("jenne") at
/usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 16.
no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("jenne") at
/usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 16.
parsechangelog/debian: error: unable to open substvars file
debian/substvars: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine source package

What is debian/substvars, and why is it not there?
My intention was to rebuild the package after modifying the sources.

Jens