module configuration

Hi

I am installing Debian from the Boot disc number 15.  I am following the
installation instructions from the Boot magazine and am stuck at
selecting the correct modules.

There are several categories to go through...'block, cdrom,
ls...etc.'...and under each one there are more subchoices.

The installation program 'detects modules' before the user is presented
with the subcategories (i.e. 'linear, raido, xd' under 'block') and a
minus sign indicates 'not installed' while a plus sign indicates
installed.

My question are these:

1.  What is the program doing when it 'detects installed modules'?  Is
it looking at my actual hardware?

2.  If it is not, and I am to install modules for all my known
components...where may I find a guide or explanation to what these terms
(ie.  block, raido, etc.) MEAn or REFER TO...and then...which are most
likely to apply to my particular components?

I have already looked through the FAQ and FAQ-O-Matic and have not found
anything this specific or addressing my problem.

Thanks very much.

Dan Grindstaff