Re: module configuration

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:44:00 CST, "Daniel L. Grindstaff" wrote:
> [..]
> I am installing Debian from the Boot disc number 15.  I am following the
> installation instructions from the Boot magazine and am stuck at
> selecting the correct modules.
>
> There are several categories to go through...'block, cdrom,
> ls...etc.'...and under each one there are more subchoices.

"block" devices are devices like cdroms, hard drives, tape drives.

> The installation program 'detects modules' before the user is presented
> with the subcategories (i.e. 'linear, raido, xd' under 'block') and a
> minus sign indicates 'not installed' while a plus sign indicates
> installed.

raid 0 is disk striping (not important if you don't have it), linear is
a hard drive geometry mode you might need if you have an older bios
that limits the ability to see drives larger than 2GB (I think), and xt
is for really really  old hardware (don't worry about it).

> My question are these:
>
> 1.  What is the program doing when it 'detects installed modules'?  Is
> it looking at my actual hardware?

The Linux kernel can have drivers for devices either compiled in, or
loaded at run time as modules, thus detecting modules is detecting
which modules are currently supported in your kernel.

> 2.  If it is not, and I am to install modules for all my known
> components...where may I find a guide or explanation to what these terms
> (ie.  block, raido, etc.) MEAn or REFER TO...and then...which are most
> likely to apply to my particular components?

  Installing Debian
  ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/install.html

  Debian Linux User's Guide
  http://www.linuxpress.com/001001.htm

  Debian Installation and Getting Started
  http://www.ssc.com/lg/issue15/debian.html

> I have already looked through the FAQ and FAQ-O-Matic and have not found
> anything this specific or addressing my problem.

And now you have more to read. :-)
--
David Stern