Re: Problems w/ppp dialup and sending mail

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998 16:04:21 EST, "DAVID B. TEAGUE" wrote:

> Hi Guys....
>
> I installed Debian 1.1 and for a year things worked quite well.  I could
> send mail, receive mail via popmail, and use ppp for web access, fpt and
> telnet. Except for some problems getting logged in last Christmas, which
> seem to have been resolved all has been well.
>
> Until recently, that is, when my ISP (campus.mci.net) began bouncing
> outgoing mail that has an unrecognized domain of origin.
>
> How in the blazes do i get a valid 'domain' I am assigned an ip number
> each time I log in?

If I understand what you're asking and know what I'm talking about, you
need to rewrite the Sender: line in your email header; i.e.: the
Sender: line should correspond to your actual (isp) email address.  (As
to why it matters if the domain in your Sender: line is resolvable by
the DNS, I have no idea, and I'd also like to know.)

There are varying ways to do this, depending on, among other things,
your email client.  I see you'll be using elm, which I don't currently
have installed, however I believe I've heard people discuss on this
that elm has a built-in facility to rewrite the Sender: line.  Perhaps
you can do some research, or maybe an elm user will tell you.

Some email clients pass along outgoing delivery service to the MTA
(smail), and others do not.  If elm does not, then elm will be the only
place you can rewrite your Sender: line, however if elm passes along
outgoing mail deliver to your MTA, then you may be able to rewrite the
sender line by configuring your MTA.  By configuring your MTA to
rewrite your email header, all email clients which use the MTA for
outgoing mail delivery will be properly configured, but it may require
more effort to set up, and as has proven for, to maintain.  Other ways
to rewrite email headers also exist, but these seem to be the most
common.
--
David Stern