Re: IRQ6 - tape & floppy sharing

On Sun, Feb 22, 1998 at 01:10:27AM -0500, Paul Miller wrote:
> I have a Colorado 250 internal tape drive connected to the floppy cable
> and I want to run unattended backups.  In addition, I have zftape and
> autofs running.
>
> Is there any way I can share IRQ6?  I saw a kernel patch (2.0.33) for IRQ

zftape already shares the IRQ; it will only use it when you are actually
using the tape drive, IIRC. That is, you can have zftape
installed (but not in use) and still access the floppy drive.

I don't know what autofs does, but it sounds antisocial; do you need
to run it on a machine that also does unattended backups,
and is there anything wrong with the stop&insert, remove&start method you have
already?

> ..so it isn't an urgent issue, I just want to know about the irq sharing.

Unlikely; I don't think the hardware itself supports it for the floppy
controllers. Perhaps you can change the IRQ on your
Colorado's controller, or put the Colorado on
your standard floppy controller.

Hamish