IRQ6 - tape & floppy sharing

I have a Colorado 250 internal tape drive connected to the floppy cable
and I want to run unattended backups.  In addition, I have zftape and
autofs running.

Is there any way I can share IRQ6?  I saw a kernel patch (2.0.33) for IRQ
sharing, but I'm not sure if that patch will do the job and do it
safely...?

My current solution is to start/stop autofs and insert/remove the zftape
module when necessary, something like:

/etc/init.d/autofs stop
insmod zftape
[taper backup lines]
rmmod zftape
/etc/init.d/autofs start

..so it isn't an urgent issue, I just want to know about the irq sharing.

-Paul