Re: PS/2 Mouse Port

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, William R. Ward wrote:

: In article <[🔎] Pine.BSI.3.95.980221152933.3280B-100000@ns1.midco.net>, Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> writes:
: > You probably did this already, but have you enabled your PS/2 mouse port
: > in your BIOS?  You also need a kernel with PS/2 support compiled in, or
: > you need to insert the module.  I believe typing 'cat /proc/misc' will
: > show you if ps2 support is currently enabled.  Also, check
: > /proc/interrupts to see if IRQ 12 is free.
:
: Well /proc/misc shows only "rtc" and "softdog" whatever those are.
: IRQ 12 is free.  I'll play with the BIOS - I assumed it would have
: been enabled out of the box like the rest of the ports.  My kernel has
: PS/2 mouse port support included as a module.
:
: --Bill.

Ok.  My /proc/misc has ps2aux and rtc (Real Time Clock, btw.  softdog is
a Software Watchdog - it's supposed to reboot your machine if it locks
up)  You should try to insert the PS/2 module and go from there ('insmod
ps2aux', iirc)  I'm pretty sure the PS/2 module is in
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc ... I don't recall if it's called
'ps2aux.o' or something else.

My system board has an Award BIOS and VIA chipset ... the PS/2 port was
disabled by default.  Admittedly, it's not cutting edge new, so your
system board may indeed enable the port by default.  Doesn't hurt to
check :)

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104