Re: PS/2 Mouse Port

On 20 Feb 1998, William R. Ward wrote:

: I have a motherboard that has a PS/2 mouse port.  It's *not* an ATX
: motherboard, though - the PS/2 port and the parallel port are together
: on a metal insert that goes in one of the card slot holes in the
: case.  I have a TrackMan that has a PS/2 port: with an adapter it
: works fine in the serial port, but I want to free up that port and use
: the PS/2 port on the motherboard.
:
: I tried plugging the mouse in, powering up the system, and configuring
: XFree86 to use /dev/psaux or /dev/psmouse, but no dice.  I also tried
: "cat /dev/psaux" and moving the trackball and pushing buttons, and saw
: nothing - I expected to see gibberish.  So maybe it isn't working at
: all!
:
: I'd appreciate any suggestions for 1) testing to see if my PS/2 port
: even works, 2) configuring Linux to find my PS/2 port, and/or 3)
: getting it to work with X.
:
: --Bill.

You probably did this already, but have you enabled your PS/2 mouse port
in your BIOS?  You also need a kernel with PS/2 support compiled in, or
you need to insert the module.  I believe typing 'cat /proc/misc' will
show you if ps2 support is currently enabled.  Also, check
/proc/interrupts to see if IRQ 12 is free.

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104