Re: NIC Configuration

Dear Kechie,

	You are very brave. You are new to Unix and you have chosen to
install Debian. You can get a lot of help by going to www.linuxpress.com.
They have a book online which will be of great help to you. Download it
and if you like it, buy the real thing. Read on ...

> I install Debian/Linux on one of the machines at my office and I can't
> get the Network Card to work.

Have you conpiled ethernet support in your kernel ? If not do so.

> The network card is a PCI 3Com Ethernet XL Combo. And I can't find the
> driver on the installation package.  I don't have a copy of its manual.

Compile all the 3Com drivers as modules and then install them, testing
them one by one until your machine recognizes one of them. In case none of
them is recognized by your PC, the card is probably  plug'n'play. There is
a tool called isapnptools that can help you. Check it out at
www.debian.org.

> And one thing more, how do you configure LILO to boot MSDOS.  I've made
> the partitions on the hard drive (primary, logical(bootable, msdos
> filesystem), swap(linux)).  I don't have any experience with UNIX/Linux
> so I need all the help that I can.

The book I recommended will help do all that and more.

Regards
M. K. Pai