Re: Cloning a Debian hard drive

On 20 Feb, Randy Edwards wrote:
>    I have a 2.5 gig IDE hard drive all set up and happily running Bo.
> I'd like to "clone" this drive onto another to move the new drive into a
> different computer and save reinstalling/configuring Debian.
>
>    I've toyed with the idea of using cp, and also of using tar.
> However, could someone point me in the direction (details would be nice
> too:-) of the *best* technique to do this?  Thanks in advance.

This was a debate on the list a while back but since I just cloned my
1.2G onto my new 6.4G I thought I would give you the recipe that worked
just great.

cd /
find . -mount | cpio -dumpv /<mnt-point-of-new-drive>  # see man pages
# watch a movie

Don't forget to rdev the kernel on the new drive to set the boot
partition and swap partion(This took me a while to figure out), as well
as modify /etc/fstab, yadda , yadda, yadda.....

--
Brian