Re: Cloning a Debian hard drive

Check out http://www.storm.ca/~yan/upgrade.html.  That is the home of the
HD upgrade mini-HOWTO.  Basically, it covers the essentials of what you
want to do (clone a drive).  The only difference is that you'll want to
keep your old drive, and pull the new one, where the mini-HOWTO has it the
other way around.

I actually don't think that the mini-HOWTO covers the *best* way to clone
a drive (which I believe would use cpio), but it will work.

noah

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Randy Edwards wrote:

>    I have a 2.5 gig IDE hard drive all set up and happily running Bo.
> I'd like to "clone" this drive onto another to move the new drive into a
> different computer and save reinstalling/configuring Debian.
>
>    I've toyed with the idea of using cp, and also of using tar.
> However, could someone point me in the direction (details would be nice
> too:-) of the *best* technique to do this?  Thanks in advance.
>
> --
>  Regards,                 | DEFINITION OF Windows 95: n. 32 bit
> extensions
>  .                        | and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
> an
>  Randy                    | 8 bit operating system originally coded for
>  (redwards@together.net)  | 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit
> company,
>  Teacher/Tech. Coord.     | that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

  PGP public key available at
  http://lynx.dac.neu.edu/home/httpd/n/nmeyerha/mail.html
  or by 'finger -l frodo@ccs.neu.edu'