Setting X default color depth

Hi,

It looks like the X server I'm using (XSuSE_NVidia) doesn't understand the
`DefaultColorDepth 16' directive I've put in the Screens section of
XF86Config.  I'd prefer to start X with xdm rather than startx -- is there
anywhere I could specify the color depth elsewhere?  I looked for
somewhere I could append a ` -- -bpp 16' to in the xdm and other X
configuration files, but I'm not having much luck.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Thomas Lakofski.

----

Support the Open Source software movement -- join the biggest revolution
in computing since the Difference Engine!  See http://www.opensource.org