Re: nis & shadow

In article <[🔎] 34ECD640.20EEDB45@bdsinc.com>,
Jens B. Jorgensen <jjorgens@bdsinc.com> wrote:
>This is true. However note how you said "if the request for the map comes
>from a non-root user". How do you supposed the NIS server determines
>that you're "not a root user"? I'll tell you: ident.

Nope. Priviliged ports.

>I can whip up an
>ident server on my NT box in two minutes that'll tell you I'm any user
>I want.

Nope. Your NT server hopefully has no access - only trusted Unix hosts,
through /etc/ypserv.securenets and/or /etc/ypserv.conf

>This is not security.

Only if you have set it up so that it allows access to ypserv from machines
you do not trust.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
    miquels@cistron.nl  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG