Re: The Ideal Linux Machine

On 19 Feb 1998, Paul Seelig wrote:

> agreene@fundy.net (Adam Greene) writes:
>
> > I work for a company that assembles computers and I am interested in putting
> > together computers that will come preloaded with Linux, and I am wondering
> > what people would consider necessary for a good Linux Box, and then we will
> > start offering Linux-Ready Units. (If my boss okays the concept :-)
> >
> It should have RAM, some more RAM and even more RAM.  Put in at least
> 64 megs of RAM and a sufficiently large hard disk of some 2 gigabytes
> or more.  But only SCSI please and don't bother with Adaptec since
> they are more expensive than they are actually worth.  Better choose
> something by Symbios Logic.  I'd count processor speed to be only the
> fourth item in the list and consider it relatively less important than
> RAM and HD size.  Did i mention to put in even very much more RAM? ;-)

Yes, RAM is very important. And if they are going to use X, in which case
you need more RAM, a fast video card and a good monitor are also good
things to have. Take a video card with at least 2MB (V)RAM which is well
supported by XFree86. You can read a lot about video cards in the files in
/usr/lib/X11/doc.

>          P., who is very content with a P133 and 64 megs of RAM *8^)

I started with 8 two and a half years ago and soon upgraded to 24, which
was a huge difference. The recent upgrade to 48 has shown that more RAM
always makes a difference. My P75 with slow IDE drives is still very
useable, even with bloated programs like Netscape.

Remco