Re: kcore

"Ian Perry" <iperry@ram.net.au> writes:

> I have heard it said that unix works entirely on files.  It always baffled
> me to hear that, being a hardware engineer, and writing mostly in low level
> assemblers.  Now I think I understand what what meant, and that all tasks
> are created as a 'file' and are acted on accordingly, hence the /dev
> directory and the /proc directory.  Am I correct in assuming this ?

This is a pretty good summary, although it varies depending on the
Unix.  Most Unixes don't do /proc like Linux does, if at all.  OTOH,
some Unixes actually have devices in /dev for the networking.

/proc is more like an easy to use view of the internal structures in
the kernel.  /prox/sys is where most of what you can fiddle with in
the /proc filesystem is.

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."