dhcpcd problems...

I am having a problem with my dhcp client.

Basically the machine taking extremely long time to obtain an IP address.
The machine is sending a DHCPREQUEST allright, and this is being answered
by the server with the DHCPOFFER.  However the sends several more
requests before it starts to work.

Also every time I shut the machine off it releases the IP lease, which
results in the lease only lasting for the period in which the machine is
turned on.  Why does it need to release the IP lease?  Surely it should
hold onto it so that it can use the same IP on the next boot (until the
lease really expires).  Can I (and should I?) stop it doing this?

I would appreciate any information.  Thanks all,

Chris