Re: Pentium compiler

boeing@zib.de writes:

> Dear experts,
>
> I'd really like to switch from gcc to pgcc from the Pentium Compiler
> Group. (I used their pre-compiled gzip and it's really better than the
> 'standard one'...) As I have no experience with libraries and there
> seems to be no Debian package around for pgcc (please give me a hint
> if I'm wrong here!) I've two questions:
>
> 1) What is the best way to install the precompiled binaries packed in
>    a gzipped tar file.

Use the alien package - it's made for situations like this.

> 2) Can I break anything by installing this Pentium-gcc-version that
>    can't be undone by reinstalling the Debian gcc package?

I doubt it, but re-installing gcc won't clean up completely from
installing this package - there will still be pgcc binaries left all
over the place.  However, using alien to convert it into a .deb and
then installing it will make it easy to clean up all the binaries if
need be.

> Of course I'd prefer to install a Debian package. If there's none yet
> is it intended to build one soon?

I don't know.  I seem to remember seeing a request for an egcs package
on the WNPP list, but I could be wrong.