Re: Kernel compilation

Corey Miller wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Brian Mays wrote:
>
> > A good way to do this is to use the kernel-source and kernel-package
> > packages.  After installing both packages, do the following (as root):
> >
> > [detailed compilation instructions snipped]
>
>         Please excuse my newbie-ness to the Debian world, but I was
> wondering what advantages one gets from compiling the kernel the debian
> way, rather then the standard make zImage? Thanks,

One important advantage for me was that make config would abort on
my system, whereas make-kpkg gets through most of the compile.  The
normal make has an error with ls seeing an illegal "y" switch (for me)
but the make-kpkg somehow avoids that error.  Yout mileage will almost
certainly vary, however.

> Corey Miller
>
> ---
> Corey Miller          "This looks like a job for ..... legal tender!"
> MSTie #71940                           -The Tick
> corey.miller@bigfoot.com
> http://www.egr.msu.edu/~mille542/
>
> --

Ralph Winslow		      rjw@nac.net