Re: [OFF-TOPIC] Pentium II performance?

On 17 Feb, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On 16 Feb 1998, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>> Can you point me to the source code for the benchmark?  I can run it
>> on my PII/233 for comparison if you want.
>
> and Alex Yukhimets:
>
>> Same here, only with PII/300.
>
> You can find the source code here:
>
>    http://www.efis.ucr.ac.cr/~mmagallo/flops_p.c
>
> This is extracted from the flops program written by Al Burto
> (aburto@nosc.mil). This is just module 1, using 7 sums, 6 mults, 1 div.
> I think I got this from http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel/ or netlib.
>
> Compiling with gcc -O2 gives a bit more than 39 on the PII. Using egcc
> (1.0.1-0.3) with -mpentiumpro gives almost 40.9
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> 						Marcelo

All right, if I was your professor, I'd ask for my money back.  I have a
dual PPro 200, and I get roughly 67, from gcc 2.7.2.3 and gcc 2.8.0.
gcc 2.8 didn't help nearly as much as I was hoping it would.  I also
have access to a PII/266, and get roughly 81 from that.  Both of
these machines were running the distributed.net client in the
background, in case that matters.  For the person who was asking about
SGI's, we have an SGI Origin here (one of the little, 4x180 Mhz
processor ones), and get 72 from that, using just -O2 for
optimizations.  All of these numbers are per processor, as I've only
tested one process at a time.

I've spent $2800 on the dual PPro, $3500 if you count the peripherals I
brought over from my old 486.  I have no idea what kind of obscene
 amounts of money the SGI Origin cost. You may draw your own conclusions
 about cost effectiveness :-)
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College