Re: True Type fonts for X11?

Christopher Barry <cbarry@2xtreme.net> writes:

> I finally got PPP working and got Navigator 4.04 installed and was
> shocked to see how ugly the fonts were! They are these tiny little
> pixelated things that are stressful to the eyes to read. Even as I
> am typing this I am appalled! Where can I get more fonts, most
> importantly True Type fonts? I got all the fonts in section X11 so
> where do I go now? The text on some pages is completely unreadable,
> like home.netscape.com, where the browser automatically took me
> after firing up for the first time.

I configured my X11 to use the 35 standard PS type1 fonts from URW
that comes with gs 4.x and later.  Just symlink these files into e.g.,
/usr/local/X11/lib/X11/fonts/urw and run type1inst to get the files
fonts.dir und fonts.scale.  If someone is interested I could email the
fonts.dir, fonts.scale, and a shell script making the symlinks.

BTW: I hope the license of URW for Aladdin allows this usage of these
     fonts.

        Torsten

--
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
                                            Fortune Cookie