RE: [comp.os.linux.hardware] Oracle on Linux

The fact is that SCO Oracle runs under linux using iBCS. This was a topic of
discussion a while back in the Caldera list.  The trouble with porting an
application to Linux is a lack of standards.  Different distributions bundle
different versions of libraries, update their distributions at different times,
users are always poking around in the configs.  It would be a nightmare to
support.  The only way I see it happening is being bundled with a commercial
Linux such as Caldera and not being supported if the user has deviated the
machine from the standard platform.  The only other way is some form of
versioning that is adopted by all the major distributions. This would provide a
known base configuration of certain vital libraries that a developer and
support engineer could target.

As it stands now, can you imagine the telephone calls from users ... "Hi, my
Oracle worked yesterday but now it is broken since I updated libc....what do you
mean 'put the libc back' ... your program sucks!" And the company gets a bad
name for producing a program targeted at a platform that changes weekly it
seems. The problem with Linux is that nobody has control of the platform
configuration.  "Official" debian is a step in the right direction.  Another
step is for Debian consultants to support ONLY the "Official" configuration.

On 16-Feb-98 Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       I thought people here might find this interesting.
>
>       manoj
> --
>  An executive will always return to work from lunch early if no one
>  takes him.
> Manoj Srivastava  <srivasta@acm.org> <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>
> Key C7261095 fingerprint = CB D9 F4 12 68 07 E4 05  CC 2D 27 12 1D F5 E8 6E

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org