Re: smail, HELO hostname without dot

joost witteveen wrote:

> The current debian smail (3.2.0.100-4) daemon does not accept HELO comands
> with non-fully qualified hostnames. See the following, "rulvsa" is not OK,
> whereas "rulvsa.leidenuniv.nl" is:
>
> $ telnet rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl 25
> Trying 132.229.1.33...
> Connected to rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220-rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl Smail-3.2.0.100 (#2 1998-Jan-13) ready at Thu, 12 Feb 1998 16:43:17 +0100 (CET)
> 220 ESMTP supported
> HELO rulvsa
> 501 HELO requires a valid host name as operand: 'rulvsa' rejected from joostje@rulvsa.leidenuniv.nl remote address [132.229.1.77]: hostname must contain a '.'.
> HELO rulvsa.leidenuniv.nl
> 250 rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl Hello rulvsa.leidenuniv.nl (joostje@rulvsa.leidenuniv.nl from address [132.229.1.77]).
>

> The smail from bo still does accept the short hostnames. For this
> reason, some people are unable to send me email.
>
> Does anyone know who is breaking the RFC's? Is it our smail, or
> the mail clients that do things like "HELO rulcmc"?

I believe that the RFC says you have to have a FQDN for HELO. I had
to deal with this about 2.5 years agon when I was writing a MOO routine
to send external mail. I'll have to see if I have the RFC or notes
handy.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
                   Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons,