system state

Is there a file on the system I can read which tells me which version of
packages and libraries are currently installed on my system?
If not, is there a system command I can use to find out?  How do you keep
track of what your current system configuration is?
I'm trying to upgrade from Bo to Hamm, and would like to be able to see for
myself exactly
what versions of various packages are installed on the system.

Thanks for any help.

	Russ

Russell Cook, Engineering Branch
WSR-88D Operational Support Facility