Using 100Mbit ethernet with Debian 1.3.1??

We are trying to get a working 100 Mbit card to a Debian system.
None of the cards we have tried will listen to the net,
ifconfig says 'SIOCSIFFLAGS Try again'.

This happens with Intel Etherexpress 100 and 3COM 3c905.

What does that error mean and what can I do about it?
(We have tried D-Link also, didn't work.)

I find it strange that linux shouldn't be working with 100Mbit
so we have probably missed something. :-)

/Jörgen