Re: xauth for my wife over my xdm X-windows session?

This doesn't address your specific question, but what about this:
I assume that when your wife uses linux, she normally logs in from the
console (on one of the text mode consoles), and occasionally then
wishes to run a few X applications.  If so, then she can just do:
startx -- :1
This will give her her own X display (on the next available virtual
console, probably number 8), and she need not mess with any xauth
stuff.  (just make certain that "Console" is in /etc/X11/Xserver)
If you do this, you'll also probably want to make a symbolic link from
~/.xinit to ~/.xsession  (startx uses .xinit, xdm uses .xsession).
Supposedly, one should be able to get xdm to start up with two
X servers on two different virtual consoles, (and therefore two login
screens) but every time I've tried it it just hung my xdm.