Re: Compute Farm

Stephen Carpenter wrote:

> Tim Sailer <sailer@bnl.gov> wrote:
> >They want to be able to configure 1 machine and mirror the setup to
> each
> >machine in the farm, without having to go to each of the remaining 199
> and configure
> >it by hand. Someone told them that RH made this easy, and no other
> >dist could do it!

> Well...there are many many ways to do it....and it depends on what the
> setup is
> How homogeneous are the machines?

They are going to be almost identical.

> for the most part....if the hardware on em isn't terribly strange...
> it would be littl emore than an issue of mirroring 1 hard drive image
> over to
> all of the machines
> With a network setup that could be quite easy....
> Hell I just recently was moving from one PC to another....
> and I did a "Drag and Drop"....just took out the hard drive and pu tit
> in the new
> machine and boom...up came linux once the BIOS was happy
> (486/DX66 from a 486SX/25 system...differnt amount of RAM, diff vid
> card...)
> There is  apcakage in debian that I have not played with but saw...which
> allows you to setup
> 1 computer andinstall the package,...
> then it makes a boot disk...goto any machine..pop in the boot disk...
> no install..instant workstation!
> and it is setup to do everything the server can do (by default)
> then come questions...is there going to be a single network filesystem?
> for the most part (as per the FHS)
> you should be able to share /usr beween all machines (assuming the same
> rchitecture of course)
> same for /home etc
> Suposedly redhat kickstart is suposed to be able to automate this...
> but with a tiny bit more work it should be very easily doable with
> debian

All that would work if you wanted to take the machines offline to
do that, but these machines are going to be handling 30MB/min of
streaming data for 6 months at a clip. There's no way that would work. :(

> hmmm just a slightly evil thought....
> anyone tried
> cat /dev/hda1 > /dev/hdb1
> assuming hda1 and hdb1 are similar partition sizes and types....

Tried it... doesnt work.

Tim

--
 (work) sailer@bnl.gov / (home) tps@buoy.com - http://www.buoy.com/~tps