RE: Xemacs and missing /usr/spool link

Norris Preyer wrote:
>Debian systems, this is a symlink to /var/spool/mail/<user>, so all is
>well.  This symlink seems to have been removed by some package
>recently, however, and problems began developing.
I had the same problem with RedHat 4.1 when I tried to install a pop3
server
I don't know about debian policy (as much as I really like debian...im
not a big
fan of the policies)
re-inserting the sym link shouldn't hurt anything
IMHO I would suggest strongly leaving OUT the symlink
My rational: acording to the filesystem standards /var/spool
is proper and /usr/spool is not...thus leaving out the link breaks
packages which are wrong
This allows the problems to be found and fixed so that someday noone
will need the sym link
Thats what I did
I got the pop3d package from sunsite...
the docs said it looks in /var/spool/mail  ..the man page said
/var/spool/mail
it never worked...then I inserted the sym link and it worked again
I looked through the source and found that
the program looked for /usr/spool...
so I deleted the sym link and fixed the source...1 line of editing and
it worked again
unfortunatly I was unable to contact the maintainers of this particular
server...
and that was b4 my recent hard drive crash
so really...in truth (as it is YOUR system) its up to you
the question is do you want things to work the first time...
or to show up as broken and work right after you fix them?
-Steve