Re: Using hamm? READ THIS about /usr/spool and related links...

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> But then: How will we know which programs do not use /var/spool yet?
> The answer is very simple: Just remove the symlinks and see which programs
> break. Of course, this has to be done in *unstable*, where every
> program may break.
>
> So if a program breaks because it uses /usr/spool, *that* is a bug.

how about this as a start:

    #!/bin/sh

    for i in /bin /sbin /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/X11R6/bin [...etc...] ; do
        for j in $i/* ; do
            strings -a $j | grep -q "/usr/spool" && echo $j uses /usr/spool
        done
    done

btw, i agree with removing the /usr/spool symlink.  programs that use
/usr/spool have to be found and fixed.

craig

--
craig sanders