Whiptail question

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I am having a
little trouble with whiptail.

This does not work:

#! /bin/bash

BOXTITLE="A Title"
BACKTITLE="Screen Title"

if (whiptail --backtitle $BACKTITLE --title $BOXTITLE --yesno "Yes or No"
7 40)

then
	echo -e "\nYes\n"
else
	echo -e "\nNo\n"
fi

If I hardcode the titles into the string like this ... --backtitle "Screen
Title" -- title "A Title" ... it works.

This seems to be to be a serious waste of space and programming effort
particularly when you have titles that may remain the same through several
boxes.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org