Re: ICQ for Java [kinda off topic]

Kevin J Poorman way back on 12/18/97 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if any one here is useing ICQ  that was released for
> Java  ... I'm having some problems  setting it up...  and would like
> some   help configureing it However it   should probably be off list
>
> Also has anyone thought of writing a deb package installer script..?

Sorry it took me  so long to reply.  I  haven't  had a chance to  read
Debian User  in  about 2  months.  I  see   where your  question  went
unanswered.  For what  it  is worth, I  posted  a message  in November
which answers your exact question.   I'm including it here.  I haven't
checked to see if the  information  is up  to  date.  The version  I'm
using is 0.95.

Paul Serice

=============BEGIN ANSWER========================================

With  some trial and  error, I've been able to  setup ICQ for multiple
users   under Debian.   The idea  was   to give  each user  an  ~/.icq
directory   where  she can keep    her personal configuration.   In my
experience, if you use the installation directions which come with the
program, things will not work like you might expect.

What I did to get it working properly:

1) Install the Debian JDK.

2) Download the ICQ tar ball (http://www.icq.com/)

AS ROOT DO THE FOLLOWING:

3) cd /usr/local

4) tar -xzvf icqtarball.tgz

5) chown -R root.root ICQJava

6) cd /usr/local/ICQJava

7) Edit "install" and change the following:
        1) uncomment JAVA_HOME
        2) JAVA_HOME = /usr/lib/jdk1.1
        3) ICQ_HOME = /usr/local/ICQJava

8) ./install
        Note: This will create the file /usr/local/ICQJava/ICQ which
              is the script you will want to run after making a few
              more modifications.

9) Edit the "ICQ" file in (8) above by replacing the "-path"
   parameter with "-path $HOME/.icq" .  This will tell ICQ to use the
   ~/.icq directory for all of its needs -- including the user's
   personal configuration.  This and step 10 are the critical
   changes.

AS THE USER DO THE FOLLOWING:

10) Now, you need to create the ~/.icq directory for each user:

        1) mkdir ~/.icq
        2) cd ~/.icq
        3) mkdir conf
        4) chmod 700 conf