Re: man segmentation fault

Gerald Wann <photonuv@kudos.net> writes:

> Hello -
>
> I am getting a segmentation fault whe i invoke man from the
> command line. What are the possible causes of this error, please?
>
> Thanks
> Jerry

http://www.debian.org/cgi-bin/fom?file=58&showEditCmds=1

This one reached the Faq-O-Matic. I said there:

man or in this special case the binary from the package man-db uses a
database (you guessed it already, no?), which sometimes can get
corrupted. This database is updated once a week by
/etc/cron.weekly/man-db. You can rebuild the database at any time by
running man-db or mandb as root. If the segmentation faults do not
vanish, keep looking.

I you have suggestions/corrections about the Problems/stable section
of the FOM please feel free to email me at Jens@weh.rwth-aachen.de.

Cheers,

Jens

---
Jens.Ritter@post.rwth-aachen.de
finger jens@unsolved.weh.rwth-aachen.de for pgp-key
(during normal european business time hours)