Re: newbie question - problem with netscape

Steve <Strange@loop.com> wrote:
>Currently I am runnning netscape on win 95 -- my distribution CD
>"debian linux" had a corrupted netscape package and I cant install it
>-- and am wondering if there is any way I can download netscape (in
>win95) and then - boot up linux and install it?

The Netscape package on your CDROM does not contain the Netscape code,
because they would not allow distribution of the binaries.  Instead,
the .deb file is only an "installer".  You have to download Netscape
from www.netscape.com (yes, you can use W95 for this -- but of course
you have to download the Linux versioin), put the (large) .tar file
and the .deb file in the same directory, then do "dpkg -i
netsca*.deb".

Netscape is in the process of changing their policy, so Debian may be
able to offer a regular .deb file containing the binaries.

                                 - Jim Van Zandt