Re: Win95 and Linux: Was: Verified Re: Unidentified subject!

"David E. Scott" <DaveScott@1000islands.com> writes:

> Sounds like very good advice. Since I don't have a backup system for the
> Win95 partition, I have to move very, very carefully. I think if I can
> once determine 1) the best boot method for this system, and 2) figure a
> way to install a bootable Win 3.1 system into the second primary
> partition, and 3) determine just where these various boot programs and
> sectors are located, I'll be in a much better position to move ahead
> with adding more packages.

I think to start with when installing Linux, you should create a boot
floppy and leave LILO out.  This should be easier to use with a Boot
Manager setup.  You might also want to stick with Boot Manager if you
want to boot Win95 and Win3.1 off different partitions.  However, I
don't think you'll be able to use it as a staging area - my Boot
Manager setup only lets one bootable partition be active at once.

To install Win3.1, configure Boot Manager with that partition as
another bootable partition.  Try booting off it, which will fail, but
will deactivate the Win95 partition and make the Win3.1 partition the
primary DOS partition so you can install DOS and Win3.1 onto it
instead of over Win95.

Once you have Linux installed using the boot floppy you can read the
LILO docs.  In a similar situation, I installed the LILO boot record
onto the Linux partition (/dev/hda5?), then pointed Boot Manager at
it.

There are patches to make Linux work with FAT32, but I don't need this
support and I don't have the URL handy.

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."