Re: Win95 and Linux: Was: Verified Re: Unidentified subject!

David E. Scott wrote:

> Rob,
>         Nice to know you were successful in installing Win95 into a Linux-based
> system. I see you're using multiple physical drives to do that. In my
> case, I was trying something of the reverse. I have a Win95B/FAT32
> system in a 5GIG drive. I used Partition Magic to downsize the FAT32
> partition and then used PM's BootManager (from IBM) at the top of the
> drive. That was primary partition #2. Then I put an 800M dos partition
> just above the FAT32 partition (primary partition #3). Then used the
> remaining 1.5G for Linux - first putting in an extended partition
> (primary partition #4), and then subdividing it into a small linux swap
> partition and the rest (almost 1.4G) for linux proper.
>         I have Debian 1.3.1 and tried several times to get it installed without
> success.
>         I also have RedHat and tried installing it, and selecting the checkbox
> for "everything" and it went in without a hitch. However, xwindows
> didn't have the same clean screen that I see under Win95. After
> experimenting with RedHat for a while, I decided to retry Debian. Well,
> this time I got it to the point where dselect would run, but then got
> over ambitious in trying to install everything, just like RedHat, and
> Wow! what a mess!

The Debian distribution is very large - you're far better served to
install
the base system only for an initial installation, and then choose e few
packages
at a time to install.  If you take this approach, your chances of
success will
improve ... vastly.

>         Finally I decided to retry RedHat since it had been successful in the
> past, but this time at the LiLo prompt I took a wrong turn and tho linux
> would boot after that, I couldn't boot into the Win95 partition anymore.
> After from late nite research by the nearest linux person I know to talk
> to live, he discovered that on the DOS side, using the DOS rescue
> diskette, it's possible to use the dos fdisk command to rewrite the
> master boot record and reclaim bootability of the Win95 partition. The
> command is a:>fdisk /mbr (return) and reboot.

When next you install Debian, have it install lilo and during your first
re-boot
edit /etc/lilo.conf (I'll attach a copy of mine) and re-run lilo.  This
will allow you to boot either WinBloat95 or Linux (or NT or OS/2 or
whatever - run man lilo
for details).

>         At this point, the linux support guy is back in school and unavailable
> for further assistance. Thus, I'm about to resize the Win95 partition
> back to the full drive and forget trying linux, but I'd really rather
> keep trying, but two items I need to be sure of: bootability of the
> win95 partition and I'd also like to be able to convert the 800M dos
> partition into a bootable partition so I could migrate my Win3.1 stuff
> to it and run it there, and also use the win3.1 partition as a staging
> area between linux and Win95, since linux (without the fat32 patch)
> doesn't yet support fat32 in the standard distribution.
>         Once linux supports fat32, I'm wondering if it would make more sense to
> try to use loadlin and softboot into linux instead of trying to use that
> IBM boot manager?  If so, has anyone have any experience in doing that?
> What are the pros and cons?

Lots of people do that and like the results.  I prefer to let lilo
manage things,
but of course YMMV.  I think it's cleaner to the the boot manager (lilo)
manage
booting and each OS manage its slice(s).

In any case, as long as your e-mail is functinal, I think you'll find
that the response of this list will get you running and keep you running
better than any
other resource (other than a personal Guru) that I can think of.
Besides this
list is smarter than even my old Guru.  Something to do with collective
mind.
HTH

> Dave
>

> Pure Energy wrote:
> >
> > Just so others on the list are aware... I have various drives on one of my
> > systems with the first hard drive containing win3.11 and the rest linux
> > ext2. I had the win95 upgrade sitting on the shielf for the last year and
> > decided to finally set it up.
> >
> > It installed safely without touching any other drives (tho the generic
> > drivers it uses didn't find a single device, all of which i had to install
> > manually :)  ).
> >
> > Anyhow just a note for others that win95 didn't give me any problems
> > concerning booting linux or messing up the linux drives.
> >

> --
> --David E. Scott      Ohio Administrative Services
> DaveScott@1000islands.com       acq_scott@ohio.gov
>
> --

Ralph Winslow		      rjw@nac.net
Mary bought a pair of skates