Re: How do I use magicfilter.

On Fri, Jan 30, 1998 at 11:04:32PM -0600, mwb wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 BobHock65@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Several kind folks responded to my plea for help in solving the printing
> > staircase effect when using lpr to print to an HP DeskJet used for Windows.
> > OK, I have installed magicfilter-so how do I use it. I entered it as a command
> > and the system doesn't recognize it. How does it magically insert the carriage
> > returns for each line? Does it automatically intercept all print strings?
>
> Have you run the config file?  If you have its ready to go.  If you
> haven't, make sure that /etc/printcap does not exist, then run
> magicfilterconfig.

"magicfilterconfig --force" should also work. I don't know what HP you have,
but if it is from the 500 or 600 series, you will get better postscript
color output using aladdin gs in non-free, because you can use the uniprint
driver. To work with this, make shure your /usr/sbin/<name>-filter starts as
follows:

# PostScript
0	%!		filter	/usr/bin/gs @cdj550.upp -q -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2
0	\004%!		filter	/usr/bin/gs @cdj550.upp -q -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2

# PDF
0	%PDF		fpipe 	/usr/bin/gs @cdj550.upp -q -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" $FILE 3>&1 1>&2

This will give you brighter colors (and will not waste your ink).

For your problem: The solution is to tell lpr what to do with the file. This
is done in /etc/printcap. Mine looks like this:

lp|dj|hpdj660c|HP Deskjet 660C:\
	:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj660c:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
	:if=/usr/sbin/dj550c-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

The "if=/usr/sbin/dj550c-filter" is the file tro modify (see above). This
file will get the file to print.

For more info, see "man lpr".

Marcus