How do I use magicfilter.

Several kind folks responded to my plea for help in solving the printing
staircase effect when using lpr to print to an HP DeskJet used for Windows.
OK, I have installed magicfilter-so how do I use it. I entered it as a command
and the system doesn't recognize it. How does it magically insert the carriage
returns for each line? Does it automatically intercept all print strings?

Thanks again in advance
Bob