Re: debian re-install?

Gerald Wann <photonuv@kudos.net> writes:

> Hello -
>
> Pardon my ignorance - but is it possible to use the debian install
> program (from the floppies) to recompile the kernel with additional
> modules (e.g. PLIP) without having to reinstall the whole OS and
> current file system?
>
> Thanks
> Jerry

I believe that you're not actually talking about recompiling the
kernel for plip support, but just about that screen in the setup
program that asks you to go through menus choosing items to add into
the kernel - this is actually just determining which modules get
loaded at boottime.  To change this, either add a line saying "plip"
to /etc/modules, or install the package modconf which will do the same
thing as the psuedo-graphical setup screens (i.e. you'll get a menu,
etc.)