keyboard locks

I'm trying to install debian for the first time, from the LSL Debian
1.3.1 CD.
If this helps, I have:
an AMD K6 on an Intel 430TX chipset installing from the CD via MSDOS-6.

Everything is fine when I boot up - I get the 'uncompressing Linux...'
message and the screen scrolls through all the hardware as it says in
the installation html document.

BUT: when the scrolling hardware screen gets to the keyboard, I get a
pause and then 'keyboard timed out' flashes up twice.  The installation
then scrolls through more hardware and puts up the 'Color-or-Monochrome
Dialog Box'.

Trouble is that the keyboard has locked and I can't do anything except a
hardware reset.
The keyboard has a PS/2 connection, but should that cause any bother?

Anybody got any suggestions? Please?

- Harry