Re: question on using lpr

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998 AJT60@student.canterbury.ac.nz wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 BobHock65@aol.com wrote:
>
> > 1st line
> >           2nd line
> >                      3rd line
> >                                 4th line ..(you get the idea).................
> >

> no idea on this one, sorry.

This is because printers designed for PCs expect the MS-DOS <cr><lf> at
the end of a line instead of <lf>.  There information about this in either
the Printing-HOWTO or the Printing-Usage-HOWTO (I forget which).  The
easiest way is to install either apsfilter or magicfilter, either of which
will handle both text or PostScript files (using ghostscript).

> > Also, how can I copy a file from my harddrive to a floppy (i.e., A: in Windows
> > or MS-DOS). I am taking a class on UNIX and may need to transport files from
> > my PC to the lab.
> >

> as root, issue
> mount -t [filesystem type] [device] [mount point]
>
> this is normally
>
> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
>
> but make sure you have a directory called /floppy in your root directory
> to act as a mount point.
> Apparently, mount /floppy as a normal user also works, although i've never
> tried it.

You will need to have it in /etc/fstab with a user option to do this.

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ                      AMPRnet: w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org