Re: Parallel port patches

Alex Maneu Victoria <mansoft@maptel.es> writes:

> I have downloaded from the internet some "patches"
> for my parallel port. The objective is to finally use
> the printer and the Zip drive, but not at the same time.
>
> Basically I have 2 questions:
> 1) How should I "install" these patches and then configure
> it all to finally be able to print?

Find out which kernelversion the patches are made for. Download the
official kernel sources from ftp.kernel.org. You cannot use the kernel
source provided by Debian, because they may already contain some
patches.

Unpak the kernel source into /usr/local/src. This should create the
directory /usr/local/src/linux. Enter this directory and type the
command: patch -p0 < some-path/patchfile

Now you are ready to compile the kernel. I suggest you install the
Debian package "kernel-package". This package contains scripts that
allow you to easily compile the kernel into a ready-to-install
kernel-image.deb package.

- Sten Anderson