Re: permissions on uucico

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980128221600.556A-100000@pitagora>,
Catalin Popescu <cpopescu@ottonel.pub.ro> wrote:
>I have the following permissions for uucico:
>
>-rwsr-sr-x   1 uucp     dialout    212932 May  8  1997 uucico
>

>I try to change permissions to allow ordinary users to invoke uucico
>(directly or via a script), but don't know what I'm doing wrong.
>
>I already tried: chmod a+s uucico (I imagined that this way the setuid
>root will be available for All users).

Ehm, no. a+s means "add an `s' bit to all (user + group + other)
permissions". That's not what you want.

Anyway. UUCP has a weird setup, but it works. I needed the following:

- uucico anly available to users in the group "uucp"
- uucico must be setgid "dialout" to access a tty device.

Those points conflict, you cannot make a program setgid dialout and
only executable for group uucp at the same time.

So, uucico is now placed in the directory /usr/lib/uucp, which has
permissions:

drwxr-x---  2  uucp     uucp         3072 Jan 29 16:40 .

Only users in the group uucp can access files in /usr/lib/uucp. So
now we have satisfied both above mentioned points.

If you want other users to be able to use uucico, relax the permissions
on the directory /usr/lib/uucp ..

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
    miquels@cistron.nl  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG