Re: X-Windows questions

I think you are ust asking too much of your machine :)  It is a kind of
multi-tasking linux uses that means you will occasionally (and not
entirely predictably, though doing fewer things at once helps of course)
have halts.  It is not a real time system.  On the other hand, you can
give priority to important proesses with the 'unice' command and (I think
though I've never used it) an equivelent system call.