Re: Can't install Debian Linux on a 586 with 166mmx tech!

> When i get to the place where it says to install base files i choose to
> install from a floppy.  It asks for disk#1 and when i do it comes up
> with the message of it dosen't look like disk#1 and i tryed it again and
> it still comes up with the same message!  Could you help me with the
> installation of Debian Linux. I have all of the files nessary files to
> install Debian Linux.  I have 32 mega byites of ram do I need the base
> floppies?  The base Images from the ftp site do not look like the ones
> on the web page about installing Debian inux.  On that web page  it hase
> the base14-1.bin and so on, and on the ftp site it has base-1.bin. What
> do I to put the base image on the 1.44 floppy disks. The way it is on
> the ftp site, when i use rawrite to put the base images on to the floppy
> it rites the source code one the floppy. the base-2.bin it makes the
> floppy unuseable.  Please tell me How to do it right so I can install
> Debian Linux Operating system on my machine.  I want to be able to use
> Debian Linux.

Download  base-1.bin,...,base-4.bin, drv1440.bin, and resc1440.bin
files from ftp.debian.org/bo/disks-i386/current/.
Use rawrite2 to make 7 floppies from the above files.
Insert resc1440 floppy and reboot the computer.
A little later it askes to insert _RESCUE_ disk (i.e resc1440) and only
then base-1, etc. Note, that resc1440 should normally be in the drive at
the time it is asked to be inserted. The problems with disks are usually
the reflection of bad blocks on them. Use rawrite2 to create another
set of disks on different floppies.

Hope this helps.

ALex Y.

--