dbm files for aliases in smail [was Re: qmail vs smail]

Douglas Bates <bates@stat.wisc.edu> writes:

> Adam Klein <aklein@eskimo.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 04:13:19PM -0600, Douglas Bates wrote:
> > > I have been using smail as the mail transport agent on a hamm system.
> > > Recently I tried to install the 12000 line aliases file that we keep
> > > on all our instructional machines.  I found that this caused smail to
> > > grind to a halt.  Apparently smail doesn't create dbm files when
> > > newaliases is run.
>
> > Well, smail can use a DBM file as an alias file.  Take a look at
> > /etc/smail/directors and the smaildrct(5) manpage.

Changing /etc/smail/directors and /usr/sbin/mkaliases so the protocol
for aliases is 'dbm' instead of 'lsearch' seems to work _except_ that the
EXPN command on an smtp connection still takes forever.

I can see that I have an aliases.dir and an aliases.pag file created
by the call to mkaliases.  Looking at the smail logfiles I can see
that the mail delivery is occurring as quickly as I would expect if
the alias lookups were being done with the dbm files.  However, when I
make a direct smtp connection to the server and ask for an expansion
of a name, it started a /usr/sbin/smail process that ran for over 5 minutes on a
Pentium Pro 200 before I killed it.  It also ate up all the available
memory.  It was at 150 Mb of memory when I killed it.  This is
obviously not using the dbm files.

Any suggestions?  I backed out the changes for now.
--
Douglas Bates                            bates@stat.wisc.edu
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598